Indulgence - Baked Oreo Cheesecake

Managing a food blog while fasting is quite a tough task I tell you.  Especially for someone like me who does taste tests during every stage of cooking.  I could do a blog post on pasta and its various stages of "doneness".  And yes, I will be the first to admit, I taste cake and cookie batters too.


So you can imagine my nervousness when I brought out dessert to end the sumptuous lunch we had on Eid day.  A fabulous looking Baked Oreo Cheesecake it was.  I had to wait a whole day to find out how it tasted!

I have wanted to bake an Oreo Cheesecake for a really long time.  I have some fond memories of spending a summer with my sisters in Boston back in 1997, when for the first time I got to experience the excesses of American food portions.  A sweltering summer afternoon found my sister and me at an ice cream shop ordering the largest scoop size the store had to offer – in a cone. Summer was not as generous as the store – the ice creams melted before we could finish them, and trailed behind us as we walked home :).  That Boston summer saw many firsts for my palate -  bagels, pizzas topped with pineapple, molten chocolate cakes and of course that strange dessert made using cheese and cookies!

Coming back to the recipe for my Baked Oreo Cheesecake, I will be very honest – this is not your everyday dessert – certainly not compatible with the calorie conscious – and insists on having many people to devour it (16 as per the recipe).
The recipe is pretty straightforward.  The only thing I substituted was the sour cream -  I used hung yoghurt instead. This cheesecake needs to be refrigerated for at least 24 hours before serving – so plan to make this the day before your party. 

The verdict?  A cheesecake that tasted as fabulous as it looked! It had the perfect creamy texture, the right level of sweetness and sure was a crowd pleaser! 

Baked Oreo Cheesecake
Adapted from recipe by Stephanie Manley




Crust
23 Oreo cookies
2 tbsp butter, melted

Filling
3 X 225g packages cream cheese (I used Philadelphia cream cheese)
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream or hung yoghurt
14 Oreo cookies, roughly broken into small pieces

Using a food processor or a rolling pin, crush the Oreo cookies into crumbs.

Mix melted butter with Oreo crumbs and press in the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep mixer on a low setting during the mixing and beating process.

Add sugar gradually and continue beating cream cheese until mixed through.

Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat until blended.

Stir vanilla, salt and flour into cream cheese and egg mixture.

Add the hung yoghurt

Turn off the mixer. If at this stage, the mixture still seems lumpy, run it through a sieve. 

Gently stir in the 5 coarsely chopped Oreo cookies with a spoon.

Pour mixture into the springform pan; top with the 7-9 remaining coarsely chopped cookies.

Place pan in a preheated oven at 160 degrees and bake for 60- 75 minutes or until it jiggles slightly in the middle when the pan is gently shaken. (I baked mine at 170 C – and my cheesecake cracked despite following the recipe – hence, I suggest trying a lower temperature setting). 

Turn off the oven, prop the door open several inches and let the cheese cake stay in the oven for one hour.

Cool on wire rack. When cooled completely, refrigerate for 24 hours



Comments