When Love Wanes - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

My 2.5 year old son's love for oatmeal has simply amused me over the last few months.  He needs it like an adult needs coffee to start his morning!   It need not be laden with sugar - even though he has a kind of sweet tooth previously unknown to man - all he needs is a teeny weeny drizzle of honey - to satisfy his view on food aesthetics I guess?

Many say I am lucky to have such an easy child - but mind you, I have to be prepared for the day my son flings the bowl of oatmeal right back at me!

Luckily, oatmeal transforms itself into a desirable ingredient as it does in these wonderfully soft and chewy cookies.


I have tried many recipes looking for the perfect chocolate chip cookies but most end up being either too hard or too cake-like.  This recipe, however turns out perfect each time - it does not leave me wanting to try some mass produced cookies from a box - nor does it leave me wishing I had bought cookie dough from the store!

I sometimes roll the dough into a log, cover it in some cling wrap and freeze it.  When I am ready to bake, I just cut even 1/2 inch slices and place on the cookie sheet to bake.

You could have a lot of fun with this recipe - try a cranberry and white chocolate combo, throw in some raisins instead of the chocolate chips - add some walnuts for some crunch...

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt - omit if using salted butter
2 cups oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

  • Preheat the oven to 180 C
  • In a standing mixer, using the paddle attachment mix together the butter and sugar until light an fluffy
  • Add the egg and mix for until the mixture becomes pale
  • Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until well combined
  • Fold in the oats and chocolate chips.  (I choose to do this step using my hands or the mixer to ensure the ingredients are evenly distributed.  Use the chocolate chips straight out of the fridge or freezer so they don't melt while being mixed around!)
  • Use a teaspoon (yields around 50) or a tablespoon (yields around 24) to measure out the cookie dough and shape into balls.  
  • Place them on the cookie sheet with sufficient space apart
  • Bake for 10-12 minute until the edges are golden
  • Let the cookies cool completely before transferring them out of the sheet
  • Enjoy...in moderation of course!



Comments