Going Green - Methi & Corn Kababs


One of my favourite scenes from the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding is when Toula tries to tell Aunt that her fiance is a vegetarian.  She responds in utter  disbelief - What do you mean he don't eat no meat? - pauses and then smiles as she discovers a solution - Oh, that's okay. I make lamb.

I love this scene because it mirrors the predicament many of us face.  In my culture, where serving meat  is a way of respecting and honouring the guest, how does one that same honour and respect into vegetarian fare?  Tough one I tell you.  Even tougher - catering to a vegetarian who is choosy about his/her veggies!


This takes me back to the time my father invited a Jain couple to our home for lunch.  The wife followed the Jain diet strictly. Not only was she vegetarian, but she didn't eat onions, ginger, garlic, carrots, potatoes or any other root vegetables.  I don't think I have ever seen my mother as stressed over serving up a meal than I did on that day!  Yet, we managed to have a great spread on the table! :)

While these Methi & Corn Kababs certainly do not substantiate a vegetarian meal, they are a great snack - healthy, nutritious and freeze well.  I love the contrast of flavours in these kababs- the sweetness of the corn against the mild bitterness of the fenugreek leaves.  


The best part is you can make these kababs as healthy as you like.  Whether you cook these in 1 tsp of oil  or deep fry them, they turn out just great!  



Methi & Corn Kababs
Recipe by Tarla Dalal



1 cup corn kernels, boiled and ground coarsely
1/2 cup fenugreek (methi) leaves chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped finely
1/2 cup potato, boiled and mashed
2 tbsp rice flour
Salt to taste

  • Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.  I like to whizz everything in the food processor.
  • Grease your hands lightly and divide the mixture into equal portions - approx 2 tbsp per portion - and shape into patties
  • Heat 1 - 2 tsp of oil and cook the kababs until they are browned on both sides. 

Comments